Monday, October 28, 2013

You Say Philanthropy, I Say Philantrophy

Stephen was upset about a lot of stuff on last Thursday's show and it almost made me just not write about it. But, well, he's a journalist and sometimes you have to expect that there will be personal feelings that get in the way of the news.

One thing that has him going is the girly hats the Marines are going to have to wear. If that's not bad enough, now it seems that the Navy will be dressing their members up in sailor outfits.

Stephen talked about The Word and it was Philantrophy. I didn't quite understand what he was talking about. At first it seemed like it was about politics because he mentioned Michael Steele. But then I though it might be about saving endangered species. Or maybe it was about hunting. I guess in the end, it boils down to that age old saying, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander."

Stephen Fry was Stephen's guest. (Sometime I should keep track of how many Stephens or Stevens he has on as guests...) It was a delightful interview because it was more like a friendly chat over a cup of tea. Stephen Fry is currently in Twelfth Night at the Belasco Theater. And while it is important to talk about what the guest is doing, perhaps the more important thing we learned is that Stephen Colbert knows more about Tolkein than even Tolkein does! They also did some tweeting and yes that also is important. We also found out a little bit about Stephen's favorite jeweled accessories he wore during his teen years.

But the thing that was the most curious to me was the glasses that Stephen Fry was wearing. Maybe I'm just hopelessly naive about eyeglasses, but I have never seen any like what he had. Mostly he wore them around his neck. When he needed to look at his smartphone, he put them on. (That was off camera.) But when he took them off, he pulled them apart up by the bridge of his nose and then hooked them together, I assume via magnets, under his chin! Maybe that's some sort of English thing. It was new to me and if it's new to me, then that makes it news.

No comments: