Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Banksy Stay Away

We are in shutdown mode still and Stephen detailed all the compromises offered up by the Republicans, including the one where Mitt Romney would be the president. In the words of John Boehner, "This isn't some 'blah blah' game." (Words substituted for real words that he used.)

On the show was the actual "Not a Game - The Government Shutdown Home Game." It's great when Stephen can showcase some good old fun board games. The Democrats, Republicans and Tea Party were all represented by game pieces, there was a timer to be ignored, and cards to show what public opinion was so that you could gauge how well you were doing. Brendon, a nice enough kid, was there to try to play with Stephen. It did not go well. Not for Brendon who never even got a turn. Not for Stephen who was almost immediately shut down (pun intended) by public opinion.

Stephen talked briefly about the Supreme Court and even had friend of the show, Emily Bazelon on to discuss the mysterious workings of SCOTUS. You don't want to know.

Stephen also got into a fine arts session, highlighting the work of, or should I say, downgrading the work of, Banksy. Some of you may be familiar with Banksy and some of you may not have heard of him until Stephen talked about him. He is from the UK but is coming to the streets of New York for some kind of artist-in-residency I guess. Here's his website. You can go take a look. I did and realized that he is not so much of an artist as a Graffiti-ist. I don't encourage that. In fact, I discourage that. In fact, to show him what I think of his tactics, I got my own can of spray paint and wrote "You should not be doing this!" on his website. That was a mistake. All I accomplished was to wreck one of my monitor screens. I am so glad I have two monitors. I guess I don't know much about hacking someone's website.

Anyway, Stephen shares my opinion of this Graffiti-ist and is trying to keep him from practicing his craft anywhere near his studio. He has blank walls on the studio that face the street, just perfect for someone to spray paint. Banksy won't be able to do anything to them though. Stephen has already put up a large frame with a note painted above it on the wall saying, "Banksy: DO NOT VANDALIZE." Problem solved. There's no way Banksy will be able to do anything to The Colbert Report studio exterior wall located at 513 W 54th Street. Stephen, as usual, is one step ahead of everyone else. Including Banksy. Hah!

It has taken me a while to write about Monday's show. I was out at the lake, wrapping tin foil around my row boat in order to turn it into a super fast water craft. It didn't work.

Stephen's guest on Monday had better luck. James Spithill was there to talk about winning the America's Cup. Funny thing is, he is from Australia which is really, really south. He definitely had a southern accent. Anyway, there was video of the race and it looked like a lot of fun. Probably most of the time they sit around sipping cocktails until the wind blows a bit. Actually, I don't know much about it, but how difficult could it be? Put the boat in the water, wait for the wind, win the race.

It kind of sounded like Stephen may be working some sort of deal to help out next time. I think he should go for it.

No comments: