Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Ski at Last

I learned a lot from watching last night's show. I learned that Jason Collins is gay and he plays basketball for the Washington Wizards. I learned that this acceptance of gays is upsetting to some people, for example Father Gerald Murray and Ralph Reed. And I learned that some guy thinks Christians will be forced to wear identification markers and wouldn't you know it? Stephen showed someone who has already been forced to wear a necklace with a cross dangling from it. It's happening!

In The Word, Stephen continued with the comparison of this struggle for marriage equality with the civil rights struggle of the 1960s. Not all people think the comparison is fair. Pat Buchanan said this on April 16 of this year: "When Martin Luther king Jr. called on the nation to 'live up to the meaning of its creed,' he heard an echo from a thousand pulpits. Treating black folks decently was consistent with what Christians had been taught. Dr. King was pushing against an open door." (Too bad that jail cell door was locked, but never mind. And too bad that open door was marked "colored" or "white" but again, never mind... I digress.) But the struggle goes on.

Go to yelp if you want good reviews for all kinds of places, including finding out the best places for getting arrested and the worst places for getting arrested. Some jails are great with juice boxes, others, not so welcoming. Then Stephen shared a review from yelp and I'm quoting. " ... a dangerous crowded cramped situation ... I almost passed out from the heat ..." "Don't bring guns - there's a sensitive metal detector" " ... you will sit outside in a dark holding pin that feels like a dungeon." And that was .... Colbert Report! Actual reviews from actual people. I'm glad I didn't get tickets to the show last night.

Iggy Pop was dressed nicely for the interview with Stephen and then he got more casual and he and The Stooges sang a nice little song. Here's the best part. Members of the audience got to sing along with him, not a group sing, but an actual duet with Iggy Pop on The Colbert Report. Ooohh I knew I should have gotten tickets for last night to the show. That could have been me singing with Iggy Pop.

No comments: