Monday, February 7, 2011

O! Say Can You See


Stephen is on vacation this week. I wonder if he watched the Superbowl. Probably. I wonder if he noticed that Christina Aguilera got the lyrics mixed up a bit when she sang the National Anthem. Probably. And I wonder if he would mention it on The Colbert Report if he was actually working this week. Probably.

But he's on vacation, so I will defend Christina Aguilera for her flubs.

The reason it happens is, and I hope Stephen forgives me for being a teeny tiny teeny tiny bit unpatriotic here, our National Anthem is not an easy song to sing.

For the average Stephen on the street, some of the notes are too low or some are too high. The lyrics are often, and I do mean often, messed up. There have even been videos (long time ago) of guys who started singing our National Anthem and by the time they were done had gotten some of the Pledge of Allegiance and also the 23rd Psalm mixed in with the verse. So, yep it was not good that she messed up, but lots of people do.

To prove my point, take this test. Without singing the song or humming it, write down the lyrics. It might be easier if you sing, but just do the lyrics. I'm willing to bet you make at least some mistakes even if it's just a word or two spelled wrong. To check to see if you are right, look at the Wikipedia article on The Star-Spangled Banner.

The internet is an interesting place to poke around. I read the whole article on The Star-Spangled Banner including the part about Isaac Asimov's short story, "No Refuge Could Save." The main character was able to find a German Spy during World War II because the spy knew the words to the third verse of The Star-Spangled Banner. (You don't know anything besides the first verse, do you?)

So I followed that link and then found a link to Shibboleths and then followed that link to a List of Shibboleths. There's a bit of interesting information there about all kinds of shibboleths including nuclear vs. nucular. Personally, I prefer nuclear because, well, it is the correct way to say that word.

You didn't think I could get from Christina Aguilera to Nucular, did you?

No comments: