Monday, December 17, 2012

Announcing Our Next U.S. Senator.....

Earlier today, South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley had this to say:

"It is, um, with great pleasure that I am announcing, um, that I am appointing our next U.S. Senator to be Congressman Tim Scott."

This is not what I was expecting and I'm quite sure it absolutely was not what Stephen Colbert was expecting. Governor Haley was, I thought, a bit hesitant, or maybe subdued in her announcement. Is that because she secretly wanted to name Stephen Colbert for that position but was worried it would set the bar too high for all the other Senators?

I don't know Congressman Tim Scott, so I had to quickly find some links to information about him. I found this over at CBS News. Here's one I found at Think Progress. And here's one I found at the Washington Post. I also found out that he writes poetry. I'm pretty sure Stephen also writes poetry, so that can't be the only criteria used to decide on Tim Scott instead of Stephen Colbert.

I'm disappointed that we will not be seeing Senator Colbert in any news stories about the Senate. I really think we will eventually see him in Congress or even in the White House, so it would have made sense to get that whole career change going now. But I'll be patient. And I'll be ready to work on his campaign when he does run for office. It's the least I can do.

No comments: