Wednesday, December 21, 2011

I Get It

It will soon be Christmas Day. Of course, it has been Christmas for a long time now, maybe even since Halloween! It seems that the stores have their Christmas merchandise on the shelves earlier and earlier each year. Some people complain about this. And yet, if we want to keep Christmas in our hearts all year, well then it just makes sense, right? Oh, I know it's more about profit than a sense of good will towards all that brings out the ornaments, cards, and sales for Christmas at your local mall.

Think about it, though. First of all, it probably takes a lot of effort and time and coordination to get everything ordered and delivered and set up at the stores. Gifts that we buy need to be wrapped and mailed. That takes time. Christmas cards also take time and effort to get out to everybody. (Note to self: Get going on Christmas letter. Time is running out!) And second of all, if people had to wait until December before any of the stores had Christmas stuff, there would be just as much complaining.

Here we are a few days from Christmas and I don't have the cards done yet. I think about making Christmas cookies, but in a way it is better if I don't because then I eat a lot of them. They are so tiny, they couldn't possibly have many calories, could they? I don't have many more people to buy gifts for. Luckily, most of that shopping is done. So in a way I am glad that Christmas starts earlier every year to help me focus on what needs to be done. On the other hand, I fall into the trap of thinking there's a lot of time yet, it's only Halloween, or Thanksgiving or early December and then, kapowie! Christmas is here and I'm not ready.

I guess you can't win, no matter what.

So, that brings me around to what this is all about today. Christmas should be a nice thing. (That's my opinion. You may have a different opinion. That's okay.) But I almost dread the first time I see something Christmas-y or hear a Christmas song on the radio. That is almost guaranteed to bring out the grinches. No, not the kind that steal Christmas. The kind that dictate to everyone exactly how they should celebrate Christmas. Don't you dare say "Happy Holidays" to those people. Free speech goes out the window when it comes to what they want you to say.

Case in point from Seattlepi.com. The very same people who call out others for the generic greeting are guilty themselves. "Fox and Friends" are upset with a "Holiday" parade. And yet they celebrate the "Fox and Friends Holiday Party."

I also found a website that also tells you the correct way to handle all things Christmas. Yet I can't help but wonder how serious and pious the guy behind it is. There are eleven ads on the page. Seems like it might be more of a money maker than a wish for blessings to those who navigate to his website.

And why really do we say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas?" There's most likely as many reasons why as there are days in December. For instance, say it's December 23 and I see an acquaintance in the grocery store. We talk a little bit and then I say Merry Christmas. I like this person and I wish him well, so should I also say Happy New Year? Or should I wait until after Christmas and then wish him a Happy New Year? What if I don't see him after Christmas and before New Year's Eve? Simple solution. Wish him Happy Holidays! I have extended a greeting to him that will keep him merry and happy for more than a week. Santa would be proud.

Now I'm getting down to the "Who do you think you are anyway?" part. Why do I have to celebrate this wonderful time of year the way you want me to? In this land of the free, don't I have the right to do what I want? If I want to have a huge dinner on Christmas Eve with my folks and siblings and all their family members, I should be able to do that. If I want to get together with a few friends on Christmas day and write poetry, I should be able to do that.

This constant battle (and I think it might even be a battle for TV ratings) about what everyone should and shouldn't do at Christmas is ruining it for all of us. Sit down. Shut up. Let us enjoy Christmas.

And when someone says a greeting to you, respond back with the same greeting, a similar greeting, or a plain "Thank-you." No matter who you are or what traditions you do or do not have, the person is saying it to be kind to you. Be kind back to them.

"I get it. The meaning of Christmas is the idea that Christmas has meaning and it can mean whatever we want." That is from Abed Nadir on a recent (although rerun) episode of "Community." His friends were trying to cheer him up because he wouldn't be seeing his mother this year for Christmas.

So, Happy Holidays. That says it all in two short words.

No comments: