Friday, May 6, 2011

I'm Back and I Feel Like Such a Fool

I hinted in earlier post about weddings and the Queen and perhaps you might have thought I was going to England for the Royal Wedding to see Prince William get married to Catherine Middleton. So did I.

As you all probably learned in school, England is also called Great Britain or the British Empire. That's because even though she is a small island in the Atlantic Ocean, England built a vast empire all across the world for many years. Thus, you could call England an Empire Builder, could you not?

And so, I naturally assumed that if I bought a ticket on the Empire Builder, I would end up in the Empire Built by England. That's just such a no-brainer. But, I did not make it. Instead of going to England, the British Empire or Great Britain, I ended up on the west coast of the United States in Seattle. Apparently, Empire Builder is an Amtrak train that goes from Chicago, Illinois to Portland, Oregon or to Seattle, Washington. It does not go to England.

I was crushed, but perhaps it was all for the best. I am now finding out that you needed an actual invitation to the wedding. I did not have an invitation. I would have been out of luck. I feel like such a fool.

No comments: