Saturday, August 3, 2013

White Earwig

I posted a photo of a white earwig three years ago and that post continues to be one of the most popular posts here. It's not about Stephen Colbert or the The Colbert Bump, but I did claim the right to name it after Stephen.

Anyway, it's that time of year when the earwigs are scurrying around. I don't really like them. They crawl into the tiniest of places and really like moisture. I'm pretty sure they can squeeze their way into your house by finding an opening between the door and the door frame.

Why are they so fascinating to people? I think it's because they are one of those "Ewwww" types of bugs. If you normally see 7,374 of them in a day that are brown and then you see one that is white, that prompts a lot more curiosity.

So, if you want to read what I wrote three years ago and see the photo of Stephen Colbert The Earwig, go to my post on Albino Earwig. Also of interest, at least to me, are the wings. Folks don't always realize that they can fly, but they can. They just don't choose to do so very often. Then are excellent when it comes to drop and scurry, but not so graceful when it comes time for them to fly. Their wings seem inadequate for the task, more like a fashion statement then actual, useful wings.

Enjoy!

No comments: