Thursday, June 13, 2013

Hello Handsome!

After last night's show, I was almost positive that Stephen would have Edward Snowden on. If not as the guest, at least as the pre-guest. That was not to be. Instead Stephen talked more about NSA and how everyone is concerned about who knows what and when they knew it and what they will do with it. There was a little bit about Prism and about NSA data mining with companies such as Microsoft, Yahoo!, paltalk, Google, Skye, YouTube, facebook and AOL. Well, all those companies are dealing in data, right?

 People are concerned and yet I would ask them, did you read any of those User Agreements or did you just check "I Agree?" It only takes a few hours to read the User Agreements, so no reason you couldn't have done that. And when you're buying something in the store and the cashier asks, "Will that be all?" do you say yes? And when the cashier asks what your phone number is, do you tell her???? Aha, I thought so. You willingly give out that information. So, as Stephen said, I'm okay with that. (I just typed "I'm okay with that," into Google search box, so I'm good to go.)

However, there is something that does concern me. I have learned through some channels, that I won't disclose here, some disturbing features over at Google. I innocently typed "do a barrel roll" into the Google search box and nearly fell out of my chair. Then I typed "askew" into the Google search box and felt like something was just a little bit off with my computer. So, I think Stephen is right to report on this turn of events even if he's okay with it. Only thing I'm not comfortable with is Googling those terms that Stephen Googled.

Enough about the NSA and all that data. It's old news in that Stephen told us it has been going on since 2006. And he showed us that there are other, older ways to communicate with your friends. Oh, and Stephen had an expert, Jeffrey Rosen, President, The National Constitution Center, on to put Stephen's mind at rest. Whew.

Daniel Bergner visited the show and talked with Stephen about his new book, "What Do Women Want? Adventures in the Science of Female Desire." It seemed like an interesting topic. Only problem is we all know what women want. They want Stephen. That's science. And while Daniel Bergner had some interesting thoughts to share with us, the interview too quickly evolved into a discussion about monkeys.

It seemed somewhat amusing to me that the whole show seemed to be about surveillance. I'm for sure not going to go into details, but even Daniel Bergner talked about various surveillance devices.

No comments: