Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Waiting to Exhale

Ooh, I just saw Cain's new ad on TV. On a news show of course. I sometimes think that's half the exposure that political ads get. Probably makes the candidates happy when that happens.

Anyway, it's of a guy smoking and then a close-up of Cain smiling. The smoker is Mark Block. He is one of Herman Cain's top people in the presidential campaign and previously worked for Americans for Prosperity (think Koch Brothers). He also had a bit of trouble in Wisconsin some years back with allegations of election law violations. But all that is smoke under the bridge now.

What caught my attention in the ad of Mark Block smoking is the lack of any smoke. If you see the ad, watch closely. He doesn't exhale. That's right. Smoking but no smoke. (Well, just a tiny bit, but mostly he tries to keep it in until ad is done.) I have noticed that same thing years ago in magazine ads for cigarettes. They show people holding lit cigarettes, but usually no smoke.

So now I wonder if Stephen will talk about this tonight. Typically I never seem to predict what he will talk about so mostly I just watch The Colbert Report and hope that once in a while I will talk about a story before he gets to it.

No comments: