Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Sitting on a Throne

There's been lots of talk and lots of video about meteors and asteroids getting way too close to Earth recently. Most of Earth did okay. The asteroid was no problem. Not so lucky in Russia. A meteor streaked across the sky in Russia and actually hit ground, making it a meteorite. Stephen pointed out the need for better detection of meteors and asteroids and the incredible efforts being undertaken on the Space Station that means we can all sleep better tonight.

The good thing out of all this is that I now realize an asteroid belt is not a fashion accessory.

Great news as the Dow finished at 14,035.67. Stephen was thrilled and a little confused. Obviously everyone is excited about such good news, but we didn't get much analysis about why it is so great. That's okay. Just be happy. We have more billionaires and that makes me happy. I watched the Colbert Platinum segment and saw what I want for my next birthday. It only costs $1.2 million and I think I could get it delivered by this summer. At least 18 people in this country have ordered one of these vehicles, so perhaps someone has ordered mine as a gift.(Interestingly enough, when I watched the show, there was an advertisement for Jaguar. Coincidence? I wonder. Guess I'll have to buy one of those for my trips to the grocery store.)

And if I do get that trinket, the perfect place to use it will be in Belle Isle, a utopia to be developed by Detroit visionary Rodney Lockwood. I see nothing but a win-win for everyone involved. Those not involved would lose out, but not my problem. Stephen pointed out that there also is the rest of the country that would be just as inviting to those who could afford to live at Belle Isle. Yes, it is a great opportunity to take all the lemons life hands you, take them to a private island and make lemonade that you won't share with anyone else.

Do you know the difference between transparent, translucent and opaque? Some people get those terms confused and get their undies all in a bunch. But here's the real scoop. Stephen alerted us the the fact that some people, you know who, are in a tizzy because they don't have photos of President Obama golfing recently. Oh, great. They weren't happy with the skeet shooting photos. Who really believes they would be happy with golf photos? I can hardly wait until someone photoshops the skeet photos into golf photos. Stephen carried it to the logical next step, the exact thing I wondered about. Is this what will now pass as transparency?

Stephen's guest was Emily Bazelon, author of "Sticks and Stones, Replacing the Culture of Bullying and Rediscovering the Power of Character and Empathy." Wow, I feel like I've already read half the book.

Stephen needed to know what exactly the term empathy means. We learned so much from the discussion between the two, Elizabeth Bazelon and Stephen Colbert. We found out some examples of bullying, we found out that Elizabeth Bazelon related an instance of when she felt the effects of bullying and also how she felt that she did not do enough to turn around those same effects when it happens to someone else.

Stephen asked her, "Do you think I'm a bully?" There are no simple yes or no answers in life. Luckily, neither the guest nor the host was actually reduced to tears.

No comments: